Moving house can be a troublesome time of the year for most people, with lots of things to organise on top of your day to day hectic life. When it comes to choosing the right packaging for moving, here at Packing Solution we are experts, and our aim is to provide you with free expert advice to make this process as easy as possible for you. So today we are discussing cardboard boxes versus plastic boxes, and which are going to be more useful when moving house. There are several factors which need to be considered.
Which boxes are stronger?
- Many people believe that plastic is stronger and more durable than cardboard. This is not the case and in fact strong double walled cardboard boxes are equally as strong, if not stronger than plastic.
- Double walled cardboard storage boxes can hold exactly the same weight as plastic boxes.
- The main difference comes when a box takes a knock, for example if a box is dropped during the move. Plastic will crack, and this can often be detrimental to your move because it could mean that your items fall out of the box. Cardboard on the other hand will be able to bend slightly without actually breaking, thus holding your possessions inside safely.
- You can stack plenty of cardboard boxes on top of one another safely in the removal lorry, which is important to be able to fit as many boxes as possible at a time.
Which boxes are better value for money?
- Cardboard boxes are much cheaper to buy. The cost will vary depending how many that you buy, because the cost per box decreases when you buy more, but on average a cardboard box will cost you between £1 to £3. Plastic boxes on the other hand will cost much closer to £10 per box.
- Both types of box can be re used for storage, but only cardboard boxes can be re used for shipping as well, so cardboard is more versatile for the future and you are going to get more use out of it.
- Cardboard boxes are more lightweight, so this makes them easier to carry and easier to stack in the removal lorry without putting too much weight on the boxes below.
- As you can purchase lots of cardboard boxes at a discounted rate, it makes buying cardboard boxes much more cost effective for an entire house move than plastic boxes.
Other factors to consider?
- Cardboard moving boxes can be written on with a marker pen. This is especially useful while moving house, because you can organise your boxes effectively to say what is inside of each box, and to say which room of the house that each box belongs. This will make unpacking in your new home much quicker and easier, and it enables the removal company to assist you with unpacking too. This is not the case with plastic boxes.
- Cardboard boxes can be flat packed. This makes them easy to store until you need to use them, which enables you to buy them with plenty of time spare before your actual house move. Plastic boxes on the other hand will take up a lot of room in your house, so you wouldn’t want to purchase them until the last minute.
- Cardboard boxes are easily purchased online from a packaging company, such as here at Packing Solution. You can have your boxes delivered directly to your door with next day delivery. Plastic boxes are difficult to find online, because when they are delivered they can get damaged much easier. This is because flat packed boxes in a bundle are very sturdy; where as plastic boxes get badly damaged.
- Plastic boxes are waterproof, but cardboard is not. You can get around this problem by using protective packaging such as bubble wrap, cling film or polythene inside of the box or around it. Generally speaking water is not a problem while moving house, because your parcel goes from your home, to the removal lorry and into your new home. There isn’t any waiting around outside.
Which are better for the environment?
- Cardboard boxes are made from recycled paper, and are fully recyclable. Plastic boxes are not, and will usually end up in the landfill.
- Cardboard boxes are therefore much better for the environment than plastic and for this reason alone, you should always choose cardboard.
- This is why here at Packing Solution we only offer cardboard boxes as opposed to plastic, and all of our boxes are 100% recyclable.
- You can easily recycle your cardboard boxes by taking them to your local recycling centre, or if you only have a couple just putting them into your normal recycling bin at home. This is easy and effective.
Which are more practical?
- When you move house, it is important to secure your boxes shut using some strong packing tape. This ensures that your household possessions stay in the boxes, and this in turn prevents breakage. It is a simple and obvious thing, but definitely something to consider none the less.
- Strong packing tape will stick to cardboard far better than plastic, and will keep your possessions safer this way.
- Cardboard is not see through, where as plastic boxes often are. This can mean that plastic boxes are good for seeing what items you have put into each box, but it can also mean the opposite. If you do not want the removal men looking into your boxes, because you might have precious or expensive items inside, then cardboard which is private and hidden would be the best option for moving house. Nobody wants other people going through their household possessions after all.
- Removal companies will often request cardboard boxes over plastic, for environmental reasons. You don’t want to have to unpack all of your things and replace them in cardboard storage boxes, so it is best not to take the risk and start with cardboard to begin with.