Moving house can be a very stressful period of time for most households, and planning everything that goes into a house move is tricky and time consuming, on top of your everyday working lives. Planning the actual date and time of the house move, and preparing your things for the removal day is something that you need to think about. Some people choose to do the move themselves, others choose to use a professional removal company to assist them, but in both cases you will need to pre pack your belongings prior to the date of removal. So how long does it actually take to pack a 3 bedroom house using boxes for house moving? How much time do you need to allow yourself for the packing process? From working on removals for over 10 years, here is what we think:
- Some 3 bedroom houses are going to be more cluttered than others, and this will affect the time it takes to pack the house ready for your move. Some houses that are very cluttered will take much longer to pack, and some houses that have minimal possessions will be quick and easy to pack. We can however, take an average 3 bedroom house, and estimate based on that.
- Some 3 bedroom houses have more rooms in total than others, which is another factor that can affect the time that it takes to pack the house. Again, we can only take an average and estimate from that.
- On average, each room of the house should require ten high-quality moving boxes in the UK, with next day delivery. These boxes will be used to pack smaller objects in the respective rooms. For instance, the kitchen will need ten sturdy boxes to pack plates, glasses, mugs, and cooking equipment. In addition to these ten boxes, there will be larger objects, such as an oven or dishwasher, that will be moved separately without using boxes.
- These ten boxes, from the best places to get moving boxes, need to be filled with objects which are pre wrapped in bubble wrap, and you need to tape up the individual boxes so that they are shut securely.
- We estimate, from past experience, that it takes four hours to pack each room of the house, fully, so that the room is completely emptied and the items are fully ready for moving. It is a longer process than you might think, especially with the larger furniture which can be a challenge to move and fit out of the doors.
- It is therefore worth keeping back at least three days for packing a 3 bedroom house, prior to your removal date. The actual process of moving once you have already packed your belongings, shouldn’t take more than one full day (12 hours), providing you have at least 3 people assisting with the move and a lorry / van available.