Moving home can be a stressful experience to say the least. There are many things to have to organise and worry about. Firstly there is the actual selling of your home, which in itself can take many months, and if the house doesn’t sell quickly you might need to make some basic changes to encourage buyers. Next you need to find the house that you want to move into, which again can take many months. Then if you are part of a large chain, you have to hope that every other sale in that chain goes through successfully and nobody changes their mind along the way. You have to organise solicitors and mortgage lenders, along with all the paperwork that goes with it too.
When you have finally been given a removal date, you now need to organise the actual move itself. This in itself needs to be organised like a military operation to ensure that it goes smoothly. We have many years of experience in house moving, and so can offer some helpful advice to you.
Here’s our top tips on how to organise boxes for moving house
- Firstly you’ll need to decide whether to hire a professional removal company or do the move yourself. If you do the move yourself you will need to hire a van or lorry, and we recommend hiring a Luton size for the optimal size for house moving, as you can fit loads into them and they include a tail lift which makes things easier for large furniture, but they are not too large that you cannot drive them as an amateur. If you decide to hire a professional removal firm then you need to make sure that you shop around to get the best price. The prices can vary quite dramatically so don’t go with the first one that you find.
- Next you need to ensure that you have the correct packaging materials to help you pack up your things from cardboard boxes London. This will include boxes of a variety of different sizes, as well as bubble wrap for protection and strong packing tape to hold it all together. Make sure you buy strong heavy duty double walled packing boxes for moving because they will hold a heavy weight inside of them without breaking, plus they will protect the things you put into them and they can easily be stacked on top of one another in the removal lorry too.
- When it comes to packing and organising your things effectively, you will need a permanent marker pen to write on the outside of each box as you pack them. You should write what you are putting into the boxes and you should also write which room of the house that the box belongs. This will make unpacking much quicker and easier, because when the large boxes for moving are taken out of the lorry at your new home, you can simply put the boxes into the correct room of the house where they belong, and then you can unpack them one by one knowing what is inside. Writing on the boxes will also enable you to take better care of the most delicate items from your home to prevent breakage.
- When it comes to packing the removal lorry with boxes, always place the heaviest boxes in first so that they are at the bottom of the pile, with lighter boxes on top. This will prevent breakage and make the stack of boxes more secure. It will also help prevent the boxes from crushing under weight and will enable you to stack the boxes higher to the top of the lorry.
- When you are packing the boxes in your home before you move, a good way to organise it is to pack up one room at a time.
- Keep the objects from each room together in boxes, because it is quicker and easier to unpack them if they are kept together this way. Buy cardboard boxes London.
- Make sure you buy boxes and packaging nice and early before you plan to do the packing. You can easily store boxes in your home because they will be sent flat packed, so they don’t take up much room at all. To put them together you simply need to fold in the flaps at either end of the box and secure it shut using some strong packing tape.
- When it comes to packing the boxes full of your possessions, the thing you have to get right is the size versus weight ratio. The larger the box, the heavier it will be to carry when full as a general rule of thumb. Obviously this will vary depending on what you are putting into the boxes, so you have to gage the size that you need based on the weight of the items. For example for books, which will weigh a lot collectively, we recommend using medium sized boxes as opposed to larger boxes, but for things like clothing which does not weigh a lot, you can easily use extra large boxes knowing that they won’t become too heavy.
- You can always fit more objects into a larger box than a smaller one, so this can save you time if you have the ability to carry heavy items. If you are using a removal company then you should be fine to use extra large boxes as this will make your move go faster.
- Medium and smaller cardboard boxes for moving can fit better into the gaps in a removal lorry which enables you to fit more into the load. This is only the case if you are being specifically careful and filling the lorry completely to the brim, but this is definitely something to consider. A variety of box sizes is always the best option and you can buy small quantities of each to begin with from most online retailers of packaging.